Greetings and welcome to my first post!
To learn more about me and what this blog is all about, pop on over to my About page so we can get better acquainted.
Since it's January, I've been doing some thinking about what I'd like to accomplish over the next year. I'm not making any resolutions per se (but dear lord I know I need to drink more water), just doing some reflecting about what lies ahead personally and professionally.
Recently, I stumbled across an interesting post by Buffer content writer Alfred Lua. He wrote a future job description for himself, and credits Buffer's marketing director Kevan Lee with giving him the idea. I sometimes struggle to break my long-term goals into incremental tasks. But this exercise gave me an opportunity (and the push I needed) to think about what should shape my professional development efforts over the next 356ish days.
So take a look at the job description below, and let me know what you think. What tools or ideas do you have that might help me actualize my goals?
And if you end up taking a stab at one of these yourself, I'd love to read it!
Role: Lead Content Strategist
In this role you will innovate, experiment, and sometimes fail (fortunately the floors are soft here).
As part of an ambitious team of digital marketers, you'll lead our content writers in the creation of strategic, optimized, and emotionally-intelligent work.
On top of that, you'll be our go-to for the latest in consumer psychology, content marketing research, and best practices. You'll also have ownership over your own metrics for success, and and you'll be a key stakeholder in shaping our brand's voice.
Your work will span across all channels, and you'll collaborate with all teams to build and monitor content strategy that promotes awareness and drives growth. Your days will be challenging and varied, and you can expect to take a leadership role in:
- Management of all digital and print collateral
- A/B testing
- Email campaigns
- All written content (from white papers to blog posts)
- Social media marketing
- Paid search campaigns
- Interviews with SMEs and thought leadership initiatives
- Data analysis and data-fueled decision-making
Thanks to your experience in improving workplace climate, you'll be tapped to contribute to regular team-building efforts that positively impact our culture. You'll have the opportunity to help shape conversations about strengthening our team as a whole, reviewing our norms, and celebrating individual and shared successes. Since our team is spread across the globe, we want to be proactive in fostering positive working relationships, providing mentorship opportunities, and acknowledging the value in our differences.
- 3-5 years of content writing experience
- Deep understanding of consumer psychology
- Experience designing content strategy for all funnel points
- Ability to convert complex, technical ideas into consumer-friendly copy
- Willingness to experiment and pivot often
- Adept communicator, especially with remote teams
- Eager to learn, hungry for data, and highly creative
- Ability to demonstrate metrics of success
- Working knowledge of Wordpress, SEO best practices, etc.
- Sense of humor, collaborative mindset, ability to take feedback well